Tuesday 16 April 2013

Mending & Making Do

I'm in the process of refurbishing a spare pc for my new workshop. It's only going to be used for driver downloads, Google, and lightweight stuff such as email which is just as well: this puppy is ancient.

But, and here's the thing, it already runs Ubuntu 12.04 without breaking a sweat!

The Motherboard is an ASrock P4i65G so replacing the 40GB IDE hard drive is no problem because the board supports SATA. So, I've chosen the cheapest hard drive I could find: a 160GB generic device from Amazon for the paltry sum of £23.99 with free shipping.

I'm also upgrading the RAM from it's current 512MB (yes, you did read that right! Two un-matched 128MB sticks that can only be working as SIMM) to the maximum allowed on the board, 2GB DIMM. Again, nothing fancy and as cheap as chips: 2 x 1GB generic memory sticks by Komputerbay (whoever they are).

I needed a SATA cable (obviously!) and a Molex/SATA power adapter: all told, the total was less than £60.00.

Refit time is around fifteen minutes and installing Ubuntu will take an hour or so with update - that's pretty sweet.

Sources & References:

No comments:

Post a Comment