Monday 11 June 2012

Lessons

So, I've moved into the bachelor pad and finally got my network up and running. I've also learned a few hard lessons in the process:

  • UK-based ISPs are universally awful and none of them grasp the concept of customer service.
  • Always be wary when things seem to be going too well!

After several abortive attempts to move my old ISP to my new address, I simply gave up and went back to BT (British Telecom, for my American friends). BT and I have a bit of history - none of it good! It is, without doubt, one of the most arrogant companies in the UK, but it has the distinct advantage of owning most of the infrastructure through its subsidiary company, Openreach. All other ISP simply rent space and sell it on to schmucks like me. I'll spare you the details, but BT are prone to randomly cancelling orders or changing appointments without warning: the short version - it took twenty-five days to get a telephone line installed!

On the other hand, I finally treated myself to my Aleutia D2 Pro!

Aleutia D2 Pro Mini-Atom


Aleutia quote a fourteen day lead time for their PCs, so I was pretty psyched when mine turned up in seven! I could hardly contain myself as I plugged in a keyboard, mouse and monitor. However, it was only when I came to add power, that I found that the DC jack didn't fit! Again, I'll keep it short: several phone calls and emails later and Aleutia sent me a replacement power pack and I finally managed to get my new file server up-and-running seven days later.

I suppose that I can't complain too much: it was only fourteen days from the order date.

Sources & Resources:

No comments:

Post a Comment