Thursday 18 August 2011

Opera 11.50 - Switching to New Tabs Automatically

Although I'm very impressed with the look, feel, and speed of Opera 11.50, I would be the first to acknowledge that, unlike most of the other browsers on offer, configuring it to work as you want cannot be described as an intuitive process.

In one way this is no bad thing; it encourages you to explore the features and potential of the application. On the other hand, I'm four days into my Opera experience and I'm only just getting it to do what I expect it to do!

For instance, take something as simple as changing focus to a new tab - in most browsers the option to switch to a new tab automatically is easily found in the preferences menu (in Firefox 5.0, it's the last option in the Tabs preferences!) but there is no such option in Opera. Moreover, I've had to get used to opening links by clicking the scroll wheel on my mouse rather than left-clicking an embedded link. However, you can configure Opera to switch to a new tab automatically (even from the Speed Dial page), albeit by using your mouse's middle button or scroll wheel:

  1. Open Opera's Preferences menu (ctrl + F12).
  2. Click the Advanced tab and then click the Middle-click options... button.

  3. In the Middle-click options dialog, select the Open in new tab option.

  4. Click OK to close the Middle-click options dialog and then OK to close the Preferences dialog.

Now all you have to do is to remember to click the middle button!

Sources & References:

  • None

No comments:

Post a Comment