Monday 23 May 2011

Ubuntu Has Form!

I hate form-filling but it's one of modernity's necessary evils.

Back in my Windows days, I used Adobe Acrobat to annotate pdf documents in order to save recipients the time and trouble of trying to decipher my handwriting but I haven't bothered finding an alternative for Ubuntu - until now. Recently my employer requested that I update my personal details, so I decided to give open-source another opportunity to demonstrate how completely it meets the challenge of its commercial rivals.

I settled on flpsed PDF Annotator - you can install it from the Ubuntu Software Centre.

"flpsed is a WYSIWYG pseudo PostScript editor. "Pseudo", because you can't remove or modify existing elements of a document. But flpsed lets you add arbitrary text lines to existing PostScript 1 documents. Added lines can later be reedited with flpsed. Using pdftops, which is part of xpdf one can convert PDF documents to PostScript and also add text to them. flpsed is useful for filling in forms, adding notes etc."
The GUI is a little rudimentary, but you only need to click on the document at the point that you want to insert your text and then type away!

So, if you hate form-filling, give this tremendous little app a try!

Notes:
  • WYSIWYG is an acronym for What You See Is What You Get

Sources & References:

No comments:

Post a Comment