Monday 16 May 2011

Johnny No-Mates

Joey Sneddon over at OMG!Ubuntu! seems to have interpreted Microsoft's acquisition of Skype perfectly.

As news of the acquisition broke yesterday (actually on the 10th, but some of us keep strange hours), various blogs and forums carried speculation and scare stories of how Microsoft intended to dump support for Linux as soon as it had an opportunity: Microsoft has moved quickly to quell such rumours.
"Skype will support Microsoft devices like Xbox and Kinect, Windows Phone and a wide array of Windows devices, and Microsoft will connect Skype users with Lync, Outlook, Xbox Live and other communities. Microsoft will continue to invest in and support Skype clients on non-Microsoft platforms."
Source: Microsoft Press Release (emphasis added)
Undoubtedly, time will tell just how much investment and support will be forthcoming: but let's be honest if such support merely continues in the same vein as Skype's efforts on behalf of the Linux community, it's unlikely to be very impressive!

I am a Skype user (that is, Skype is installed on several of my systems) and I am comforted by the noises coming from Redmond. However, I don't really know why I'm so relieved: I use Skype predominantly as an IM client and rarely (if ever) use it for VOIP calls. In fact, so infrequently do I use the service that my Skype credit has recently become inactive!

Sources & References:
OMG!Ubuntu! Microsoft will ‘invest and support’ Skype on non-Microsoft platforms
Microsoft® News Center Microsoft to Acquire Skype

No comments:

Post a Comment